Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September WHAT?

I know, really? Where did the summer go? I started out in the spring with these wild intentions of blogging my way through the summer and now that our short short summer is on the wane, I have done nothing! I have been busy building a business rather then working in my garden. Some years are like that I suppose. Right now the daylilies need to be cut back, the hollyhocks look silly because one or two of my deer buddies decided they looked better without leaves and the shasta daisies have flopped over. All the perennials need to be dead headed AND my veggie garden was mowed down by a chipmunk and his extended family. We also made a tactical error when we put the veggie bed under the eves of the shop. With no gutter the hail storms and thunder showers trenched the bed right in the center! We have a few tomato's from the greenhouse and that is about it. My energies were not in the veggie realm this year! Thankfully, not one daylily was eaten in bloom by a deer. I have no idea why they were few and far between this year but until just last week, they seemed to avoid my garden! The chipmunks on the other hand and the beetles have been busy. I do not have a single plant without bite marks, hail holes or nibble marks, but once I go at it this weekend with the clippers, most of that will be cut back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can Dahlias grow in Central Oregon?

Growing any tender tuber in the high desert is always a bit of a challenge. The temperature can plummet at any time of the year causing fros...