Friday, February 12, 2010

Garden Limbo

What does an avid gardener do while waiting to garden? Good question. I had 18 months in a mobile home park and then another 18 months living in a shop building on our property before the house was livable. Even then, the future garden area was a pile of rubble and had to be filled with dirt and landscaped before I could plant anything. Gardeners do funny things when spring is in the air and they can not purchase plants and work in the garden. We buy gardening books and magazines and read. We make lists, we plan, and we visit other peoples gardens.

After the drainfield and septic tank were installed on the property I had acres of bare dirt just aching for some seeds. I fenced off a small plot and planted perennial seeds. A friend came by with a packet of Shasta Daisy seeds and scattered them as a gift in what we started calling "The Compound" behind the septic tank. Those same Shasta Daisies planted in 2000 are now still blooming in my yard. I have also shared many clumps of them over the years with other gardening friends! I had a second square of land out in the field that I planted with rose campion, oriental poppies, daylilies, onions and daffodils. Sounds really odd, but I used up the seeds and bulbs that I had on hand in order to get a start on the future garden. I kept reading, planning and dreaming of the day that I could finally move the baby plants and create a lovely garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can Dahlias grow in Central Oregon?

Growing any tender tuber in the high desert is always a bit of a challenge. The temperature can plummet at any time of the year causing fros...